You can also read this post on Bond Twenty.
I only realized how important it is to have a great morning routine when I moved to Hong Kong in my mid-20s for a stressful job in financial services. Breakfast was usually the only meal I ate at home so I would wake up a little earlier to prepare and eat breakfast and read or write in my journal before heading to the office for a busy day (and sometimes evening). I am positive that I wouldn’t have survived this period in my life if I didn’t have this routine.
I’ve switched things around a little since I moved back to Australia (and met my boyfriend!) but I still have a routine that sets me up for a busy day of work and life. Here are some little ways that you can also have a calming morning routine.
1. Wake up about 15 minutes earlier than usual. Don’t hit the snooze button! This extra 15 minutes is precious time to eat, read or simply take time with everything.
2. Pick an outfit the night before. I must admit, I only do this if I have an early morning meeting. I spend a few minutes choosing my outfit each morning because it’s the only time I can be creative! But picking my outfit on days where I have to be in early saves time and decision making energy.
3. Prepare breakfast mindfully. I like to it simple with something like toast and tea or cereal and juice.
4. Spend around 5 minutes reading a book or magazine. I like to flip through a magazine or read a few pages of a good book. I read the news at the office because it’s usually depressing and sad.
5. Listen to chilled out music from a playlist created the night or weekend before on your way to work. I don’t like to listen to anything that will make me feel sad or like busting out a dance move first thing in the morning. I prefer to listen to music that will make me happy and calm before starting my work day.
Do you have a great morning routine? Any tips?
Images 1 and 4 are my own, the rest are via Pinterest