I don’t like winter at all. Not one bit. I don’t like the extra time it takes to layer up. I don’t like getting winter colds and flus. I don’t like that it’s dark when I leave work. I don’t like winter.
I know that it’s a first world problem and our Sydney winters are pretty mild… but the cold and windy weather makes me feel sad and miserable. (In fact, in some countries it’s actually a condition called ‘SADs’ or ‘Seasonal Affective Disorder’!).
So I set about discovering ways to feel happy again during the cold season… And it worked! Here is what I did:
– Found warming and comforting soups, and soup noodle dishes to enjoy at lunch (and stayed away from cold sushi or Vietnamese rice paper rolls).
– Found a few great TV shows to enjoy over the wintery months. (The Mindy Project, Big Bang Theory and Gilmore Girls for something fun and thanks to my boyfriend, I recently watched the doc0 OJ: Made in America which was clever and really interesting).
– Found some good books to read in front of a heater with a steaming hot cup of coffee or tea.
– Found some new indoor exercises to love. I really enjoyed heated vinyasa yoga which is in a 30 degree room. They had me at 30 degrees! I’ve also been doing some home workouts via here that don’t require any equipment. I just put some music on and get moving! No need to worry about parking, hair or the latest activewear! And it’s free…
– Wore bright colours and summer clothes with winter layers like summer dresses with tights, sweaters and a scarf to work.
– Walked outside during lunchtimes to get some daylight and if possible, some sun.
– Enjoyed these views in the middle of winter in Sydney. We are blessed with many winter days full of sunshine and bright blue skies and crisp air.
I’ve found that I may actually be tolerating winter this year…
Do you like winter?